Friday, April 11, 2014

pixel perfect

Polka dots seem pretty old fashioned. Pixel print seems pretty futuristic. Layered on top of one another they make... a contemporary juxtaposition? An ironic pairing? Does it matter? Since this NY Mag article debuted yesterday about 'the etymology of the basic bitch,' I've been worrying about whether my trend biting helps or hurts my brand as "an individual." A part of me unapologetically hates "boring mainstreamers." Another part of me hates that hating mainstreamers isn't unique anymore. Could it be that both critics of the basic bitch and recipients of the dreaded title are equally conformist? I vote yes. There is ultimately no difference between the person who consumes to diverge from the masses and the person who consumes with the masses. Both are consumers, both are believers in materialism.

To be basic is to genuinely believe that what you consume actually represents your personhood. That doesn't mean consumers are uniformly basic in that they all appear 'normal.' Many consumers publicly look rebellious but privately obey social order nonetheless. To be not basic is to publicly obey and privately rebel. To obey is to look like you're rebelling publicly to give illusion that you are obeying privately. But muahaha. It's all part of the scheme. Consume... but don't justify.





Please take a minute to check out Grayson Shop -- one of my latest LA collaborators! I'm devoted to making quality apparel more available to my readers at a realistic price point and Grayson perfectly fits the bill. Can't wait to show you the other two pieces I styled from their collection! ^_^

Based in the heart of Los Angeles, our efforts at Grayson is to provide quality young women fashion at affordable prices. You’ll find many new arrivals at $10 or less. As an added incentive, we currently are offering $5 off first orders when new subscribers join our email – no minimum purchase required.

Everything is infinite,

Bebe Zeva

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful girl! I love your photos and love your style.
    http://jokkingweek.eklablog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know that reading your post could actually give me something. Many bloggers write down what they think of their outfit (count me in here) or write down about everything but their outfit (which is kind of boring AND stupid, for the latter action, I might add. And I just said myself boring..), but you are a lot different! I enjoy reading your writing as much as I love your passion for fashion. It's just hard to find a blogger as smart and fashionable as you are who actually gives me something (whether knowledge about fashion OR pure humor) aside from the photos you upload. I sometimes even dont read the writing of the others blogger write, I just comment their post according to their outfit pictures hahaha but once again,you are an exception :)
    I LOVE YOU, BEBE ZEVA!

    IPIHIPPIE

    ReplyDelete
  3. To basic, or not to basic? People should lift what they genuinely like from any source, irrespective of supposed credibility stock value and not give a fuck about narrow-minded social groups, is what I'd recommend.

    Rebelling with no-one knowing you are: no cheers, plaudits, cash in, Che Guevara style tees made with your likeness. But at least there's no hassle or incarceration risk either :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog! Wow

    xCan you please visit/follow mine & my 14yr olds twins blog x
    P.s if you follow my blog on GFC I will follow you back ;) x

    www.fashionsmama.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pointing conformity and celebrity worshipping 'basics' in the direction of deeper stuff without crossing the line into obnoxious, is the most effective method. Good combo mami.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything you wear is fabulous and you have won my soul. Please be gentle with it. <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I now see Andy Warhol from a different perspective.
    Getting rid of this. https://www.etsy.com/listing/186445141/

    ReplyDelete
  8. my first visit to your blog, Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. DOVER, Del. - A Delaware teacher faces charges after allegations surfaced that she had a sexual relationship with a 13-year-old male student.

    Stephanie Seabury, a 22-year-old English teacher at Caesar Rodney Middle School, turned herself into....

    http://adf.ly/ofxMj

    ReplyDelete